Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Wrap Up of my Bird Island Mini-Residency

Palms at Bird Island




Notes From my Residency Journal

I'm back in the studio again for a few days between adventures.

Bird Island is a truly magical place and I love it so much. It has a good diversity of trees, and plants as well as wonderful sea and marsh views. Yesterday afternoon I took a walk around the perimeter of the island, across the boardwalk on the marsh side. There is wild Rosemary growing along the marsh and the Oleander and Sea Island Sunflowers are in bloom. I gathered a bag full of sunflower heads. I will dry them and then give them out to visitors to my studio. Everywhere I look I see great beauty. There are massive palms and lovely old Cedar trees on the island. I've not seen a snake there so it is pleasant to walk through the tall grasses. On the marsh side of the island there is a long boardwalk presenting a wonderful view. I also stumbled on a platform with a wood ladder. The rungs were broken and I thought about climbing up, but decided not to take the risk. 

Our hosts Patsy and Warren make life very easy. They are charming and relaxed hosts, always ready to help and are a wealth of information about the island and the town of Horseshoe Beach. Sitting out on that front porch, watching the sea and listening to the mellow wind chimes, invites visitors to rest and let the stress of the modern world fall away. When I can get the chance to download more photos I will have lots of beautiful images to use for more paintings of this lovely island.

I found the group to be full of fun and enthusiasm, all very easy to get along with and eager to please. It was a wonderful weekend. Next Saturday I'll start a week in Canaveral National Seashore.

 I am blessed by all of the people and businesses who support this project. Thank you to my newest corporate sponsor, French Canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment