Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

You can receive this blog in your email automatically

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bird Island Mini Residency Day 1

I am on Bird Island for the weekend. I have no way to show you images yet, but I'll do that when I return to my studio.

I am here as a guest with 9 other painters, from the Oak Hammock Plein Air Group. We arrived by boat yesterday with lots of painting equipment. Warren and Patsy Nelms, our hosts, have a big rolling cart that goes down the dock to haul supplies to the house. It is a big rambling cozy home with lots of space.

We had a great lunch of cold cuts and fruit.  With peppermint ice cream. I headed out to paint right away, doing a painting of an old Cedar with lots of tiny limbs. Great fun and practice.  My second painting for the day was a bunch of sea grapes. I love them and don't get the opportunity to paint them very often.

Dinner was spectacular, with smoked mullet dip, blue crabs, steamed shrimp, Greek salad and grits. I was in heaven. We hauled bean bag chairs down to the dock after dinner and lay in them staring straight up at the stars. I could have stayed all night if I had a blanket.

This morning we started the day with fried grits,bacon,sausage,pancakes and fresh fruit. Lord I love the South!!!

I headed over to the west side of the boardwalk to do a little painting of a large Oleander bush and the sea behind it. Soon we will leave for Horseshoe Beach to have lunch in a cafe, meeting other artists. All of the painters here are terrific.

The island itself is wonderful. I got very good news. Patsy and Warren are going to give me a week residency at the island in April 2013. I will be dropped off here and enjoy the luxury of spending a week on a private Island. I expect Captain Jack Sparrow will drop by for cocktail hour each night. ;>)

No comments:

Post a Comment