Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fair Oaks Mini Residency September 1, 2013

I

Notes From My Residency Journal

I was so delighted to be at Fair Oaks again after several weeks away. Between weather issues and obligations, I've had difficulty getting out to Fair Oaks for much of the summer. Today was wonderful. I started out in my favorite golf cart, thoughtfully washed for me. It was hot, humid and heavy as you can imagine this time of year. I look forward to cool dry air to come.  I took some reference photos and tried to outrun the mosquitos. As long as I was moving they weren't a problem but painting would have been miserable. 

It was time to climb the stairs to the cozy studio, air conditioned and bug free. As I signed into the painters log I saw that my friend and extraordinary painter Kate Barnes had been there to paint on the day before. I got the painter's log book a few months ago and I'm glad I did. It is fun to see which other visitors come to paint in the Fair Oaks Studio. 

I settled into the painting above and spent the rest of the morning studying a new palette for the coming winter season. Sorry for the glare on the right side of the painting. Painting well is very hard and the more I know, the more inadequate I feel. After painting for 40 years, I am but a beginner.

I decided to take a break just before lunch, stepping out to see the trail boss hard at work and my canine friend Shane patiently waiting to play ball with me. What a pleasure to watch the world from the front porch of that grand old home. We took a ride in the cart to cool off and look at a downed tree, a victim of a recent storm. 

We headed back to the cottage for a swell lunch of juicy hamburgers, mac and cheese, and baked beans. We teased Scotty by accusing him of eating all the dessert! 

Back to work I wen't after being teased about painting too slow by the trail boss! I've never figured out why people thing painting fast is better. ;-) Reluctantly, I packed up, leaving my painting in the studio to dry until I can get back to beloved Fair Oaks.

Another day in paradise.

 
,







No comments:

Post a Comment