Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Fair Oaks Mini Residency and Fun at Oak Hammock Studio- July 20, 2014

Work in Progress
20x24 inches
oil on canvas
Progressing at the Fair Oaks Studio
 
My Mentor Students with painting panels provided by my sponsor Art Alternatives
 
Notes from my Residency Journal
 
 
I arrived to the cozy and cool studio at Fair Oaks. The sun was shining in the yard of the old house and I could hear the staff in the distance making all kinds of sounds with weed cutting gizmos and saws. Here they were in the hot July sun working tirelessly to make Fair Oaks the beautiful, graceful, and welcoming estate that she is. I have become hopelessly spoiled by the special little gifts always given to me by the stewards of this fine place.
 
 
I started the second stage of a new painting I've been preparing for with some trepidation. The Royal Poinciana Tree. It is a royal tree indeed, also called the Flame Tree. I've not seen anything like it before in my tree studies. I did several small studies before I tackled the subject with a serious painting. It will need another session next week at Fair Oaks for completion. I enjoyed painting away the time and listening to Bob Edwards on the radio. I came to a stopping place, knowing I must leave after lunch,
 
 
Before the lunch bell rang, I headed out to the yard to enjoy the lush green lawn and beautiful flowers. I sat on the green park bench and enjoyed the sounds of Fair Oaks.
 
 
Lunch was a 5 star feast with a classic Florida dish, swamp cabbage. The staff had taken down a small palm so we had this delicious and historic dish with chicken a'lorange and a huge salad with deep green lettuce, fresh kiwi, tomatoes, avocado, carrots and wonderful blue cheese dressing. For dessert a rich, dense chocolate pound cake and ice cream. They really should charge for these feasts and I am so very grateful for them!
 
 
As my Fair Oaks adventure ended another began at the Oak Hammock Studio in Gainesville. The members of their art league have graciously donated their studio to me and my mentor students for a once a month session through December of 2014. We meet once a month to paint and enjoy dinner after our lesson, in the private dining room. I look forward to this monthly adventure and I always learn so much from the artists there.
 
 
Another wonderful day for me from my Artist in Residence Project. Thanks to all who make it possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment