Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Crystal River Residency Day 5 07/28/12

Wildlife Park Sign

Bald Eagle

Flamingoes

Manatee

Notes From My Residency Journal

Friday was my last day of exploring the nature coast of Florida. I started with bacon and eggs at Grannys Restaurant and then headed over to the Homosassa Wildlife Park which is a state park of Florida. I saved this for last because it is a favorite place for me. This is a theme park like the early ones in Florida. It is more like the places I remember from childhood. No fireworks or theme park stuff. It is a good zoo. There are winding paved paths along the way through the exhibits. Lots of benches line the shaded paths and it is really pleasant and interesting.

 I saw all kinds of birds, amphibians, reptiles, and of course Manatees. There is a deep underground observation room under the springs. I saw all kinds of fish and Manatees, as well as an alligator and river otter display. The most interesting exhibit was the reptile room where native Florida snakes are housed in lit terrariums. I loved closely observing the venomous snakes, which I have seen in the wild. It was good to see them up close so that I will recognize them immediately if I stumble upon one.  I also enjoyed the many birds on display, including Ibis, Blue heron, Screech owls, swans, and colorful Flamingos.

The park is located off US 19 one block before the Visitor’s Center. Turn right at the Hardees intersection and then left at the park sign. The price is 13.00 but my AAA membership made it 10.60. It was a good trip.

I started a painting on the back porch after lunch but it was really hot, 94 degrees on the shaded porch. I will definitely finish this one in my cool studio.
Today I clean the house, do the laundry and pack up to head for home tonight. It is time for the Olympics, so it’s time to get home and enjoy that. On August 14th, Shark Week starts on the Discovery channel, and I never miss that either. Painting will be sporadic for the next few weeks. I’ll be glued to the TV for a while.

I have enjoyed this residency so much. I got a lot of research done and some terrific reference photos to use back in my cool studio.

 I’m very grateful to my sponsor Linda Daly for making this wonderful experience possible.
 As always, more to come….

No comments:

Post a Comment