Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bird Island Day 3

Bird Island Palms
8x10 inches
Oil on panel

The Old Birdhouse
5x7 inches
Oil on panel


Patsy's Sculpture

Native American Artifacts

Notes From My Residency Journal

The weather at BI changes very quickly. It started sunny this morning, quickly becoming overcast and windy. By 1 PM it was sunny again with calm sea. This is the perfect time each year to be at BI. No bugs, warm, with low humidity. Just marvelous!

I enjoyed the process of both paintings, listening to Eta,Ella, Billie, Frank and Louis on the IPad radio. There are no better specimens of cabbage palms than are growing here on the island. Palms are tricky. I've painted them all my life, yet they are still a complex mystery.  There are several bird houses here, after all, it IS Bird Island. My favorite is the old two hole one I painted today. It leans a bit and there are cracks in the wood, making it all the more charming. 

Patsy is a very talented sculptress, using all kinds of found objects to create whimsical pieces, placed around the house. I look forward to seeing them each time. The above is my favorite. She is also a fine painter. There are lots of good paintings scattered around the house, done by well known Florida painters who come here from time to time. The family has a fine collection by Ellie Blair, Kate Barnes and Elisabeth Ferber to name a few. 

The family has an interest in archeology and anthropology, having teamed up with the University of Florida's departments for occasional digs. There are numerous display of interesting artifacts throughout the house and on the porches. 

I look forward to seeing the red ball drop into the sea again at days end, after another day of Bird Island paradise. 



2 comments: