Welcome to My Project!

I was born and raised in Florida. After many years of travel, attending plein air paint outs, I discovered that residencies are the best way to explore the natural world I love. Working for an extended period from seven to ten days really enhances my painting experience. I am lucky to have friends and collectors who make it possible to explore the exciting and interesting locations I love to paint. Supporters provide their unoccupied vacation homes or hotel lodging for my residencies throughout the year. I am always delighted to leave an original framed painting for them as my thanks for their generous gift. If you would like to sponsor a residency, I would love to hear from you.
Contact me at: linda@lindablondheim.com

You can receive this blog automatically in your email by submitting it below.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Smyrna Beach Residency - Days 1- 3

Putill Road Palms
(this image is from night with poor lighting) I'll post again when I can get a better image. 

Notes From My Residency Journal

My host doesn't have Internet so I am posing when I can find wifi. 

I arrived to the vortex and a couple days of harsh cold and wind, yesterday was cloudy and it is raining this morning. Alas, poor weather for exploring, but I have been painting in the house. 

I have done a bit of exploring between blasts of rain and cold. Tuesday I enjoyed a couple of hours at Canaveral Seashore. I toured the now finished visitor's center, lovely place. I found some wildflowers to pick the dead heads which I will throw into the field next to my studio. I also found a prickly pear cactus joint. I'm going to add it to my cactus terrarium if it survives.  The red flowers were not in bloom down at the point this year and I suspect they were killed by the cold. 

Wednesday I headed down to look around at the Merritt Island National Preserve, always a favorite. It was dark and overcast, but I enjoyed Putillo Road and Bio Lab Road. Putillo was open for cars this year, Yay! It has lovely views and lots of narrow trails. 

Bio lab was gorgeous as always, but very few birds. I was shocked!
Today I am going back to take a look at Blackwater Drive, on the hunt for birds.

Thanks to my wonderful hostes Louann Hall for providing her cozy vacation home for the third year. It is a charming cottage in the historic district. It is lovely and sparkling clean. I'm so fortunate to have the many supporters who make these residencies possible. 

Back to exploring!

View from Putillo Road



No comments:

Post a Comment